Love Life Now's Heel-A-Thon Against Domestic Violence

For so long the discussion of domestic violence has included shaming the victim, but with organizations like Love Life Now victims become survivors and survivors use their stories to encourage others. This event was a "heeling" effort for victims, survivors and supporters against domestic violence, and I don't think words will suffice in expressing my gratitude for being invited to lead the 3K Heel-A-Thon.

I left the event with an immense amount of love for its' sponsors, organizers, donors and "heelers" as well as a renewed sense of strength and a grave reminder for why I decided to become (and forever remain) a survivor. I laughed, cried, sweat during zumba and laughed a lot more while interacting with some really inspiring individuals whose selflessness and bravery are second to none.


Prior to walking, we heard from those instrumental in making the event possible including keynote speaker, Gabbe Rowland. Gabbe is such an inspiration. Her testimony is surreal and her strength is unmatched. I don't think she will ever fully understand how much I admire her humility and courage.

I enjoy upbeat d.v. events like this because it is important to let victims know that they too can live a liberating life again and it reminds them that they are not alone. Through sharing our stories and educating the general public, we are preparing ourselves for a violent-free future!


Victoria DeKoatz, Miss Lakeville 2014, and I were crowned together and what a great friend and sister queen she has been. I am so grateful to have had her by my side in leading the walk! We had a great time chanting phrases like "We are the heelers" and "Stop the silence; stop the violence".


At the halfway point we released balloons on behalf of those who have not been able to remove themselves from abusive relationships and in remembrance of those who have not survived.


You are not alone. You are loved.

The domestic violence support community is expanding and its' mission is to exclude no one.
Gabbe & I <3
Heeling...
If you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship, please seek help! For immediate help dial 9-1-1.

XO!


PS, Gabbe, Victoria and I have something very special in the works for domestic violence survivors and supporters, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!